Monday, March 17, 2008

Library Thing

I ran across this website the other day and was immediately intrigued. It allows you to enter your books (by author name, title, ISBN no., etc.) and then can provide you a virtual library of all the books that you possess.

I can hear some of you asking, why in the hell would you want to do that? Well for me, it is a nice reminder of what I have read, authors that I like, books that I would like to read again (I have a pile of six or so right by my desk), but most of all it fulfills my need to sometime create order. This is something I have always seesawed with. There are times when everything around me is chaotic and then I impose strict order, but I am never good enough to maintain the order an things tend to degenerate again.

There is more to library thing that makes it a great time waster: you can look at other libraries, the ever present forums, it will recommend books to you based on your library, there are reviews. All in all its a fun way to waste some time that doesn't involve the omnipresent pron that dominates the net.

Oh yeah. Slainte. Raise a pint this St. Patrick's day for all those who are Irish, all those who were Irish and all those who claim to be Irish, if just for this one day.

No comments: