Thursday, March 13, 2008

First Words

The first words of any work are the hardest to put to paper. There is always a fear that you are going to be wasting your time, say the wrong thing, make someone mad. It isn't unil you push past that fear-actually put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard as the case may be-that something worthwile might develop.

For me, writing has become my lifeline. I have always dabbled at writing, a short story here, a few paragraphs there, but for the last six months I have been seriously working on a variety of projects, (all Fantasy or Science Fiction) one of which I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It is exciting watching a book form beneath your fingertips, I find myself staying up past midnight, fingers flying over the keyboard, hoping that what I am putting down has some semblance to the story I set out to tell. It is strange how the story that I originally thought was about a twenty something professional thief has grown into a look at her childhood and how the loss of loved ones over the years has affected her. Each change has led to new insights and new directions for the characters.

These are the first words on this blog. I don't know as I write them if anyone will read them. I don't know where these words will take me. I do know without the first word, there will never be a second.

No comments: